As I have been wrapping up Lost Ship, I began to worry about the legibility of the lettering in the comic. My lettering has improved over the last year, but some of it is a little rocky.
So I decided to re-letter the comic with a font. It’s incredibly important to me that people can read the comic. While the lettering lost a bit of character in the move to being a font, I believe it’s a worthwhile change because it’s much easier to read.
Here’s another example:
It was easy enough to make the changes in Clip Studio Paint. I overlaid the hand lettering with a layer of white and then put the text objects over top. That way I can easily toggle off the font lettering if I need to for some reason.
I made the most of Comicraft‘s New Year sale where each font is the price of the year (e.g. $20.19) in preparation for this change. The font I’m using in Lost Ship above is Monologous. Also, Blambot is another great resource with plenty of generous licensing options.
I would like to continue to improve my lettering skills, but there’s also a significant part of me that wants to just commit to font lettering moving forward. Fixing typos and making adjustments to font lettering is so much easier. Regardless of what the future brings, I’m going to keep prioritizing legibility with my comics.
One thought on “Re-Lettering Lost Ship”